Arraial d’Ajuda is a beautiful beach destination in the state of Bahia, in the northeast region of Brazil.
Arraial is the charming neighbour of Porto Seguro – Brazil’s most powerful magnet for mass tourism. But rest assured, the river Burnanhém, separating Arraial from Porto Seguro, suceeds at keeping away from the former the worst excesses of the later.
1. What we like the most about Arraial d’Ajuda.
Among our favourite things about Arraial d’Ajuda we should mention its splendid beaches; the charming rua do Mucugê in the village, coming alive at the end of the day; the open-air restaurants; and the chance to have some delicious caipirinhas!
2. What we like the least about Arraial d’Ajuda.
The unfriendly approach to visitors by the waiters from the bars at the Mucugê beach; restaurants that will rip you off; the Bróduei street.
3. How to get to Arraial d’Ajuda
Porto Seguro is the door to Arraial d’Ajuda. From Porto Seguro you need to take the ferry to the other side of the river Buranhém and then jump into a bus that will take you to Arraial in a few minutes.
You can reach Porto Seguro by bus (from Rio it’s a 24-hour journey, from Salvador it’s 12 hours on the road) or by plane.
4. Pay attention to
The stones and sea urchins at the beach.
5. Our favourite places
Pitinga beach and Mucugê street
6. Piece of advice
- shops in Arraial open only after midday; some open only at the end of the day – when everyone comes back to town from the beach
- if you don’t hire a car, the vans at the main square will take you anywhere you want
- if you stay at a pousada on the way between the ferryboat and Arraial you will need a car or a taxi to get to town
- do spend a day in nearby Trancoso, it’s a short bus trip away
7. Accommodation in Arraial d’Ajuda
Check our full listing of hotels and pousadas in Arraial d’Ajuda.
8. Weather forecast
9. Google Maps
Check our photo album of Arraial d’Ajuda.
Category: Destination: Bahia