Bonito is a very popular ecotourism destination not very well known outisde Brazil. The main reason for its relatively unknown status outside Brazil might be due to its remote location (see the GoogleMaps link below): Bonito is a village in the southernmost part of the Pantanal, 300 km away from the nearest major airport (Campo Grande).
1. WE LIKE THE MOST:
The crystalline waters of the rivers around Bonito, snorkelling surrounded by fish, the apparent concern for the environment.
2. WE LIKE THE LEAST:
The big distances that need to be covered through dirt roads to get to the different attractions; the construction of large hotels and a landing strip; the expensive prices of the trips.
3. HOW TO GET THERE:
There are two options: by bus (from São Paulo, it’s a 15-hour journey) or by plane (to Campo Grande and from there a three-hour drive to Bonito).
4. CAREFUL WITH:
Anacondas in the Sucuri river (no, I’m just kidding; I mean, there are anacondas but you won’t come across them; sucuri is the Brazilian word for anaconda).
5. FAVOURITE PLACES:
The Gruta Azul, the Sucurí river, the Rio da Prata, the Buraco das Araras.
6. PIECE OF ADVICE:
- the different natural attractions have a maximum number of visitors allowed each day – the limit is strictly enforced. Don’t go anywhere without booking first.
- take an underwater camera, even if it is a disposable one. You will get plenty of chances to use it while snorkelling on the Bonito rivers.
- don’t forget to bring plenty of insect repellent with you.
- don’t expect big emotions from the whitewater rafting at the Formoso river, there is just one exciting rapid, the rest is all calm.
- if you buy a package holiday to Bonito, do find out which trips are included; the main trips are very expensive, from R$150 upwards.
While not compulsory, you are strongly adviced to get your yellow fever shots if you are visiting the area. Yellow fever is present in the area of Bonito.
Check our full listing of hotels and pousadas in Bonito
10. WEATHER FORECAST:
The weather in Bonito for the next 10 days
11. GOOGLE MAPS:
Category: Destination: others