Jericoacoara is a destination with a mythical status among tourists. Its success lies on the difficult access and the achievements of its habitants in defending the village from the attacks of unsustainable tourism.
WE LIKE THE MOST: the isolation, the dunes, the unprententious character of the village, the Pousada Vila Kalango
WE LIKE THE LEAST: the trip (popular with foreign tourists) run by some reckless delinquents to catch seahorses (a protected species); the bar at the Lagoa da Torta where minute lobsters are sold; a travel agency (with the name of an Australian animal) that runs awful trips in Jericoacora
HOW TO GET THERE: the road is the form used by 99% of the visitors to Jericoacora. Leaving from Fortaleza, there’s a five-hour trip on the road followed by an additional hour through the sand dunes. The company Fretcar goes to Jericoacoara (prices and timetables)
CAREFUL WITH: the combination of sand and wind, deadly for photographic equipment; the two-day trip to Jericoacora sold in Fortaleza, you are likely to spend more time on the road than on Jericoacoara itself; to enjoy Jeri you need to spend at least three nights in the village – bear in mind you will waste one day going and another one coming back; under no circumnstances attempt to get to Jericoacoara by car, your chances of ending up stuck in the sand are extremely high, and your insurance will not cover any expenses resulting from the accident.
FAVOURITE PLACES: the sunset dune, the Lagoa Azul (Blue Lagoon), the Lagoa do Paraiso (Paradise Lagoon), the dried mangrove on the way to Tatajuba, the Pedra Furada
PIECE OF ADVICE:
- climb the sand dune at the end of the day to see the sunset over the sea
- the streets are not paved, walk barefoot or with flip-flops
- in Jerí there are few shops: bring from Fortaleza medicines, batteries, sunblock, money and other basic stuff
- there is absolutely no need to buy trips from any agency. What you can’t do on your own in Jericoacoara, you can do hiring a buggy to take you to different places
- Jericoacoara is one of the top destinations in Brazil for kitesurfing and windsurfing
ACCOMMODATION: full listing of hotels and pousadas in Jericoacoara.
LINKS: Jericoacoara .com
GOOGLE MAPS: Jericoacoara
[Don’t forget to check out the list of other destinations already covered in this blog, here]
Category: Destination: Fortaleza&Jeri