In spite of being the largest city of South America, in spite of, in my opinion, being the most Brazilian of all the cities in Brazil, São Paulo is largely unknown to the foreign tourist. There are more than enough reasons for this: São Paulo is a giant that scares and intimidates.
1. WE LIKE THE MOST:
The very real feeling that no one is a stranger in the city; the cultural melting pot; the welcoming nature of most paulistanos; the intense cultural life; the strength of this economic powerhouse.
2. WE LIKE THE LEAST:
Traffic from hell; terrible public transport sytem outside the limited area covered by the underground; violence; pollution; filth.
3. HOW TO GET THERE:
São Paulo is the main entry point to Brazil. You can get there by plane or by road. From Rio, it’s a six-hour trip by bus or a 45-minute flight.
4. CAREFUL WITH:
theft in the city centre, there are legions of pickpockets acting in the area.
5. FAVOURITE PLACES: the Liberdade neighbourhood, the Central Market, the Ibirapuera Park, the Consolação cemetery, avenida Paulista, Sala São Paulo concert hall, the Burle Marx park, the Oscar Americano foundation.
6. PIECE OF ADVICE:
- look for accommodation close to the underground system; although the underground network is minute, it is fast and safe and will take you to quite a few of the most important tourist spots in São Paulo
- using public buses in São Paulo is not simple; there are more than 1.300 lines and often the bus stops do not contain information on the buses stopping at them. Locals ask the driver before boarding to find out whether that line will take them to their intended destination
- do go to the top of the Banespa building, in the city centre. The visit is free, and from the top you can contemplate a breathtaking 360-degree-view of São Paulo
- avoid the Ibirapuera park during the weekends, unless you want to share it with hundreds of thousands of paulistanos
- see our São Paulo’s top ten
- an afternoon spent walking along glamorous Oscar Freire Street can be lots of fun. It is São Paulo’s answer to Rodeo Drive.
8. WEATHER FORECAST:
9. GOOGLE MAPS:
10. PHOTOS: São Paulo
11. ACCOMMODATION IN SÃO PAULO:
Search for São Paulo hotels on our search engine (results open on a new window)
You might also want to check out cheap deals booked.net.
São Paulo getaways
São Paulo’s top ten
five reasons to love São Paulo
five reasons to hate São Paulo
Museu do Futebol (football/soccer museum)
Morumbi stadium (São Paulo FC)
Octavio Café, São Paulo
terminal Tietê bus station in São Paulo
the São Paulo subway system
how to go from Guarulhos international airport in São Paulo to town
Accommodation at Guarulhos aiport in São Paulo
taxis from Congonhas domestic airport in São Paulo
taxis from Guarulhos int’l airport in São Paulo
out for a photowalk on glamorous Oscar Freire Street in São Paulo
Category: Destination: São Paulo