Though seemingly unimportant, it is interesting to be familiar with the political organization of the Brazilian territory. The weather forecast, for instance, uses the categories described below as a reference point.
Brazil is divided into 5 regiones (none of them have a political function, it is just a division for statistical purposes) which, in turn, contain 26 states and a Federal District (Brasilia). The regions and states are:
- Região Centro-Oeste: Goiás, Mato Grosso, Distrito Federal and Mato Grosso do Sul.
- Região Nordeste: Alagoas, Ceará, Maranhão, Paraíba, Pernambuco, Piauí, Rio Grande do Norte, Bahia and Sergipe.
- Região Norte: Acre, Amapá, Amazonas, Pará, Rondônia, Roraima and Tocantins.
- Região Sudeste: Espírito Santo, Minas Gerais, Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo.
- Região Sul: Paraná, Rio Grande do Sul and Santa Catarina.