From São Paulo to Ubatuba/Paraty by car

March 17, 2007 | By More

How do I get from São Paulo to Ubatuba/Paraty by car?

In São Paulo take the Marginal Tietê, the ring road around the north of the city following the course of the Tietê river. At the end of the Marginal Tietê, continue in the rodovia Ayrton Senna (SP-070). Althought there are signs showing the way, pay particular attention, it’s easy to take the wrong road. If you follow the signs for the airport (Guarulhos) you will end up in the rodovia Ayrton Senna.

After an hour and half’s drive the motorway changes name from Ayrton Senna to rodovia Carvalho Pinto (it’s till the same SP-070). On the Senna/Carvalho Pinto you will pass two toll barriers.

When you get to São José dos Campos, leave the Carvalho Pinto following the directions to Caraguatatuba. The road that goes to Caraguatuba is called rodovia dos Tamoios (SP-099). After an hour’s drive, the road descends until reaching sea level. The stretch of road going down the mountain is absolutely spectacular.

When you reach Caraguatatuba, follow the directions for Ubatuba. Once you leave Caraguatatuba, you will be on the Rio-Santos road (SP-055), that will take you to Ubatuba, first, and an hour later, to Paraty.

Attention! Plenty of speed traps on the Ayrton Senna/Carvalho Pinto motorway, on the rodovia dos Tamoios and in Caraguatatuba as well.

The Rio-Santos road is one of the most scenic routes in Brazil. Enjoy it!

I’ve created a road map using MyMaps! (in Spanish and English). It contains specific instructions on the trickiest parts of the trip. You can check it out here.

SEE ALSO: Hotels and pousadas in Ubatuba

[Don’t forget there is a list of all the questions & answers published in the blog here]

Tags: , ,

Category: Destination: Rio, Destination: São Paulo

1. Holly says:

Overall, for a 2-week visit to Ubatuba and Southeast Brazil, would you recommend renting a car or using the bus?

Holly, Ubatuba contains a very long stretch (more than 50 miles) of beaches, and having a car is quite an advantage, as you can visit the different beaches when and as you please. There is a car rental company in Ubatuba itself (Localiza).

Without a car, you rely on the local transport system. It’s not bad but you will spend quite a lot of time waiting for your bus to come.

3. Nathan says:

If I want to travel to Ubatuba, is there any cab or limousine service you could recommend. If not feeling confident in traffic or reading maps, I think renting a cab service would be a good choice.

4. Nathan says:

I read that Ubatuba receives much rain hence the nickname Uba Chuva (chuva, Portugese for rain). To avoid the worst raining periods, if you have that, when is ideal to travel this region?

5. Nicely explained. But how long did it take you to complete this journey? Tell me about speed traps like what are the possible places that you can get caught? Is this the closest way available?

Nathan, there is rain all throughout the year.

Andreas, you can reach Ubatuba in four hours if you don’t stop anywhere to contemplate the views. There are fixed speed traps and mobile ones. Best advice, keep to the speed limit and you won’t have to worry. The route I’ve described is the fastest.

7. Scott says:

Sounds like a great journey mate, im rather jealous as I have been on the Rio-Santos road and I can remember it very well!

8. simone says:

can I get a bus from ubatuba to rio along the scenic route or do I have to change in paraty?
    thanks

Simone, you can take a direct bus along the scenic route run by Util. But not stopping at Paraty for me it’s the ultimate sin!

10. simone says:

Thanks Tony, that’s a great help.

It’s okay I’ve visited Paraty before. We may go to Paraty again in which case I know there are quite a few more buses from there to Rio.

In that case, that makes it a bit of a lesser sin. Util will take you direct to Rio. Have a great trip.