Búzios – official name, Armação dos Búzios – is one of the most charming beach destinations on the entire Brazil. It combines a rich selection of beaches with an endless variety of shops, hotels, pousadas, restaurants and nightlifte. Búzios is where is at, and one of its merits is being able to offer simultaneously liveliness and quiet, sophistication and unaffectedness. Being close to Rio de Janeiro, Búzios is a very popular destination all year round, and even more during the high season. As well as Brazilians, Argentinians discovered Búzios a good while ago and form a sizeable community in the region.
WE LIKE THE MOST: the town centre; the peacefulness that can be enjoyed as soon as you get away from the lively centre; many of its beaches; the sense of safety.
WE LIKE THE LEAST: a bus station consisting of a shelter falling to pieces; potholes everywhere; litter in the streets and at the beaches; houses, hotels and mansions built where once there were virgin beaches.
HOW TO GET THERE: from Rio, by car or by bus (From Rio to Búzios). Shortly there will be flights to neighbouring Cabo Frio from Argentina and Chile.
CAREFUL WITH: the high season, when the area is chock-a-block. It’s hard to find accommodation and even harder to travel around the peninsula where Búzios is located.
FAVOURITE PLACES: the rua das Pedras, in the centre; the beaches of Ossos, Azeda and Azedinha.
PIECE OF ADVICE:
- Búzios can be visited all year long, but if you can, avoid going there during the high season.
- to get around the Búzios peninsula you can use the efficient van service (ticket costs R$2 at the time of writing these lines) or rent a vehicle – car or buggy. Taxi boats take you from the centre to nearby beaches.
- in Búzios there are ATM’s from the main Brazilian banks.
- it’s worth doing the boat trip to visit some of the small islands off the coast and snorkel on crystal-clear waters. The boats leave from the centre of Búzios.
- from Búzios you can go to nearby Cabo Frio by bus. You can also spend the day in Arraial do Cabo.
ACCOMMODATION: full listing of hotels and pousadas in Búzios.
WEATHER FORECAST: The weather in Búzios for the next 10 days
GOOGLE MAPS: Búzios
PHOTO ALBUM: Búzios
[Don’t forget to check out the list of other destinations already covered in this blog, here]
Category: Destination: Rio