bus transportation in Brazil

November 29, 2008 | By More

Purchase your Brazilian bus tickets from abroad with our search engine.

What with rocketing airfares, more and more people are turning to buses as a means of transportation in Brazil. Finding your way through hundreds of bus companies, bus stations, infinite destinations and information hard to come by is definitely no easy job. Hope this entry can in some way help alleviate your pain – for finding up-to-date and reliable bus information in Brazil can certainly become a very painful process.

There are a handful of online sources you must know if you are to embark on a bus journey in Brazil.

1. ANTT (for all destinations)

The one and only country-wide official source is the website of the Agencia Nacional de Transportes Terrestres (ANTT), the Brazilian’s government official body for road transportation. Unfortunately, it’s an incredibly unfriendly site, even more if you are a foreign user with no grasp of Portuguese. Never mind the fact that can be infuriatingly stubborn. If the spelling of your destination is different from the one held at the ANTT database, you will be going nowhere. At Link: buses in Brazil I gave a step-by-step guide on how to search at the ANTT site.
——————————————–
2. Socicam (for Aracaju, Fortaleza, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo)

Much friendlier than the ANTT site is Socicam‘s own website. It would be my number one choice if it wasn’t for a small detail: its restricted coverage. Socicam is a private company running the bus stations of the following cities:

Angra dos Reis (Río de Janeiro), Aracajú (Sergipe), Fortaleza (Ceará), Guarujá (São Paulo), Mogi das Cruzes (São Paulo), Niteroi (Río de Janeiro), Poços de Caldas (Minas Gerais), Ribeirão Preto (São Paulo), Rio de Janeiro, São Carlos (São Paulo), São João da Boa Vista (São Paulo), São José dos Campos (São Paulo) and the three bus stations in São Paulo (Barra Funda, Jabaquara and Terminal Tietê).

So Socicam is only good if your origin or destination is one of the cities I’ve just mentioned. For as long as your starting point is one of those bus stations, your search will be succesful – your destination doesn’t need to feature on the list. For instance, you will find information on the São Paulo – Florianópolis route although the Florianópolis bus station is not run by Socicam.

To search for a route, choose Consulta de partidas de ônibus on the left sidebar. Choose your starting point from the Cidade de origem pop-down menu, and your destination from the Cidade – UF de destino menu. Quite straightforward, specially if you compare it with the ordeal that a consultation on the ANTT site is. If you are lucky, your search results will show the webpage and contact details of the company operating the route you were searching for. Unlike the ANTT site, Socicam only informs the details of the companies, no information on timetables or prices to be found here.

Linhas Rodoviárias , a site with bus travel information

——————————————–
3. Linhas Rodoviárias (for São Paulo)

Excellent resource for departures from São Paulo to any state in Brazil and international destinations too. We have full details at Linhas Rodoviárias , a site with bus travel information.

——————————————–
4. Terminal Novo Rio (for Rio de Janeiro)

If you are travelling to or from Rio de Janeiro, you might as well check the incredibly simple to use Terminal Novo Rio website. It’s by no means a pretty website, but hey, nothing beats simplicity. Type the name of your destination (or point of origin) at the PARTIDAS NOVO RIO box and off you go. The search results show the company (or companies) operating the route, including a link to their website. If you want more info, we’ve already devoted a blog post to the Rio bus station: Terminal Novo Rio.
——————————————–
5. Rodoviária de Porto Alegre (for Porto Alegre)

The Rodoviária de Porto Alegre (Porto Alegre’s bus station) website in another useful source of information for trips on the state of Rio Grande do Sul. Click on Horários de Ônibus and then select your destination from the Porto Alegre para menu, the day of the week at the Dia da Semana menu (choose any day / qualquer dia if you prefer) and the departure time (Horário do Dia).
——————————————–
6. Rodoviária de Curitiba (for Curitiba)

The Rodoviária de Curitiba (Curitiba’s bus station) is another site that combines ugliness with friendliness (if that could ever be possible). Simply select your destination from the De Curitiba para drop-down menu and off you go. The results page has a valuable link to the bus company running the service.
——————————————–
7. DETER (for the state of Santa Catarina)
A very useful tool for trips that begin and end within the State of Santa Catarina. Go to DETER‘s website and choose Consulta de Horários de Partida de Viagens. Write your departure and arrival points, and off you go.
——————————————–

Below there is a series of blog posts we’ve written with information on how to get to a few destinations in Brazil:

NATIONAL

from São Paulo to Rio

INTERNATIONAL

from Buenos Aires to São Paulo / Rio
from São Paulo to Santiago de Chile
from São Paulo to Paraguay
from Montevideo to Porto Alegre and São Paulo

I’d been meaning to write a post like this for a long time. But it was only this week, when fellow blogger Gene suggested the topic that I decided to have a go at it. From Goiáis, where he lives, Gene writes a blog full of useful information for anyone planning a spell in Brazil: Expat American Living in Brazil.

subscribe to the Brazil Travel Blog by Email
follow the Brazil Travel Blog on Twitter

Tags: ,

Category: featured, transportation

Sites That Link to this Post

1. TRAVEL BRAZIL-BUS: São Paulo to Rio « Expat American Living in Brazil | January 24, 2009
  1. Tim Dodwell says:

I havent heard great things about long distance bus travel in Brazil, is this right? Argentina and Chile, and meant to be alot better. Have a any tips for Brazil?

Hi Tim. There are huge differences depending on the routes and the companies. The further north you travel, the less likely you are to find top quality coaches. I would say the best buses on the São Paulo – Rio de Janeiro route fall just a bit short of the best buses in Argentina. But on average, Argentina’s buses are better.

My tip would be, if you are travelling long hours, do not go for the cheapest seat available. Often it’s worth an upgrade to semi-leito o leito class (that would be semi-cama, cama in Argentina).

All the best.

3. Bob Schlimgen says:

We’re planning an adventure to Northern South America. We’re considering a one way flight to/from Cartagena or Bogota, Columbia or Venezuela and a one way flight from/to Port of Spain, Trinadad? We’d like to work our way to the Amazon River through Columbia to Tabatinga which is on the Amazon River where Peru, Columbia and Brazil come together, take the Amazon River trip (6 days which is very long) to Manaus then North via bus into Guyana and to Trinadad. Are you familiar with such a trip; especially identifying where our safety might be in jeopardy? Do you know anything about the air/water transportation from Port of Spain, Trinadad over to Georgetown, Guyana? Thanks for any advice you can give us. Is it unwise to consider travel through Columbia, Venezuela or Guyana? My friend and I have done a lot of travel in Central America. Are we taking on a trip no one would want to attempt? Thanks. Bob

Bob, this is a blog on Brazil and a post on bus transportation in Brazil, so I don’t know how I can be of any help to you.

5. Nera Bianco says:

We have a Fulbright opportunity that is taking us to Brazil for 6 months. We will have luggage that qualifies on the USA – Brazil (Sao Paulo – GRU) flight (appox. 70 lbs). Both TAM and GOL have limits on luggage that don’t work for us! We are considering a bus that goes from GRU to Brasilia. What would be your recommendation, and is there a bus terminal at GRU – and at the airport in Brasilia?

THANKS so much ~

Nera, there are no long distance buses leaving from Guarulhos airport. But getting from the airport to the bus station is simple and safe, there is a special Airport Bus Service. The company Real Expresso takes you from São Paulo to Brasilia.

Alternatively, you could look for flights into Brazil with airlines that have code-share agreements with TAM (United is one of them). An entire ticket bought that way would entitle you to the full baggage allowance on your domestic flights too. At our blog on flights in Brazil you have details of all the direct flights from the United States to Brazil.

7. Nera Bianco says:

Thanks Tony ~ we are flying Continental, so there is no code share opportunity, but I appreciate that advice for the future. We have also considered buying a car while we are there, then selling it when we leave. I found this site: http://www.classificados-brasil.com/cidade/sao-paulo/ that seems to list lots of cars being sold in Sao Paulo. Do you think there would be too much “red tape” to make this type of transaction possible? Another option is a “short term lease”, but I’m not sure this is even a business option in Brazil, especially for 6 months. Do you have any insight you can offer on that?

Thanks again ~ your perspective is invaluable!

Nera, without a CPF (Brazilian taxpayer’s id) you won’t be able to do any legal business in Brazil, so that’s a problem. Buying a second-hand car is a nightmare and the chances of being conned are gigantic. Let’s stick to the topic of this post, which is bus transportation, ok?

9. Nera Bianco says:

O.K. ~ sorry!

Thanks for the information though. My husband does have a CPF, but your advice is very well taken. I guess we’ll just have to keep researching different transportation options.

Thanks again ~

10. Roger Barrow says:

Hi Tony,

We are planning to fly into Rio later this year and looking to travel to La Paz in Bolivia. Can you confirm whether Buses take this route and how easy it is to take this route.

Any other suggestions would be welcome

11. Engaged says:

Hi Guys,

Thank god i found this blog because I was feeling overwhelemed…hopefully you can help.

I am planning on getting married in Guyana and we want to go to BRazil for our honeymoon since it is right near-by however the only airline that flies there is META and everytime i check fligts it says there are none (even though the Guyanaese airport says they fly out to Boa Vista 3x per week)

so…i am wondering what the deal is with the bus service from Guyana to Brazil I have taken buses in Jamaica that were…less than pleasant and although Im not a bridezilla and dont require first class trip for my honeymoon, i would like to be comfortable since it is a 2 hour drive

Any suggestions?

Also, is it true that rented cars cannot cross the border into Brazil?

Thank you I REALLY appreciate all feedback

Roger, I can only help you with the Brazilian leg of your trip. As far as I know there are no direct services from Rio de Janeiro (or São Paulo for that matter) to La Paz. The company Andorinha takes you from Rio to Corumbá, near the border with Bolivia. From there you cross to Puerto Suárez and begin your journey on Bolivian land. You’ll have to get all the details for the bus ride from the bus company. All the best.

Engaged, I’m totally unfamiliar with that part of the country and I’m always reluctant to dish out advice based on things I don’t really know. I’ve done a few searches and haven’t been able to find any info on bus companies on the region.

The same goes for car regulations, I’m sure any car rental company can advice you on this. Have a great honeymoon.

14. Destination Wedding says:

Tony,

You seem knowledgeable on this subject, so my hopes are high right now. I’ve done a good amount of searching online and haven’t been able to find much.
    I’m from Boston and met my Bride 5 years ago while we were both in graduate school here. We’re getting married in March, and the wedding is down in her Hometown, and small town in Sao Paulo state. We have about 15 people traveling down to Brazil with us, and our plan was to charter a bus to take us from the airport is Sao Paulo to her hometown in Itapitininga, about 90 minutes away. After the wedding, we were then going to travel to a small beach resort to relax and show my family the natural beauty of Brazil. After 4 days there, we’re returning to the city for a night and dinner at a nice restaurant, then flying back.

Can you recommend a business that can provide a chartered bus for about 15 people and provide transportation from SP to a small town in SP state, then 2 days later move those people to a beach, then 4 days later move them from the beach back to the city?

Originally we thought about renting cars, but many of the guests have never been to Brazil, can’t drive standard, and we’re concerned about having those cars get separated in traffic trying to get out of downtown SP traffic, which can be a nightmare.

Any advice for safely transporting 15 tourists around brazil for our wedding?

Your advice is much appreciated!!!!!

Mike

Hi, Mike, I suppose I should begin by making it clear I am just another traveller sharing information on the Internet, I am in no way connected to the tourism industry. For that reason, there is very little help I can offer to you. If I had first-hand experience of any company providing the services you’re looking for I would gladly comment on it but unfortunately that is not the case. I strongly agree with your case against letting your guests drive around in Brazil in general, and in São Paulo in particular. To me, that’s an absolute no-no. All the best!

16. Destination Wedding says:

Tony, thanks for the response. Fully aware that you’re not connected to the tourism industry, is there any avenue you suggest I contact there in Brazil? For example, if I was looking here in Boston, I’m sure someone would recommend I contact GreyHound or Peter Pan. Is there an equivalent in Brazil?

Again, even if you could send me in a direction I’d appreciate it.

Mike

I guess you’ll need to do quite a lot of searches on the Internet. It’s a sector I’m not familiar with. I’ve found out that bus company 1001 (rough equivalent of GreyHound, although the long-distance sector is much more fragmented in Brazil, with dozens, if not hundreds of companies) has a rental service. That might be a start: 1001. Bus rentals and leases. One place you could turn for help is São Paulo Convention & Visitors Bureau. Both sites with info in English. Good look!

18. Cliff says:

Trying to find a time table for buses between Belo Horizonte and Ouro Preto. Went to the ANTT web sight and followed your instructions. The page containing time tables and bus company’s never appeared. Any additional info would be appreciated.

Cliff, I’m quite puzzled as the ANTT site doesn’t contain any information on that route. It is a terrible website. I’ve done some searches on the Net for you, the company Pássaro Verde has regular and frequent services between the two places. You can see the schedule here. Takes 1 hour 45 minutes and it costs around R$20 each way.

20. Cliff says:

Thanks for your time. The info on that web site answered all my questions.

21. Nab says:

Tony,

Very helpful site and your replies to other folks as well.

I’m having a great deal of difficulty finding information on how I can take public transit (bus/shuttle) from Sao Paulo to the beach resort town of Caraguatatuba.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for your time !

Nab, there is an hourly bus service (from 06:00 till 21:00) from terminal Tietê in São Paulo run by Litorânea. Amazingly enough, the service doesn’t feature on the company’s website. But rest assured, it exists. Caraguatatuba is an important destination. Just go to Litorânea’s booth when you get to the bus station.

It’s a hard life for the foreign tourist in Brazil!

23. Sagar says:

Hi Tony,
    We are a group of 4 backpackers (2 guys and 2 girls in early 20′s) wanting to go from Salvador to Natal by bus (as airfare is coming out to be quite expensive). However, I have read other travel blogs advising not to do this route by bus due to armed robberies along the way. Is this route safe to travel by bus ? Have you travelled on this route before.
    Thanks for your help

Sagar, while it is true that armed robberies have been an issue (and continue to be so) in specific parts of Brazil, nearly all occurrences happen during the night. So for as long as you stick to day time travel you should be fine. I haven’t done that route.

25. B says:

Hi -

I was hoping you could offer some advice.

I’m flying in from NYC to GRU to spend a couple of days there and then I’d like to go to SSA. I wanted to keep my cost down and was considering flying from VCP to SSA.

But I’m not sure how to get to VCP from let’s say Downtown Sao Paulo (in the city) – is there a shuttle or a bus or train? Off chance, do you know how much it’d be?

I know Azul is currently offering a bus shuttle, but if I don’t fly with Azul, are there other means to get to VCP (aside from a cab)?

I know some airlines offer shuttles from GRU and CGH but it seems like not many connects to VCP. Help … ?

Obrigada! =)

Hi, ok, so you are not flying Azul. Then you have to take a bus from Viracopos to Campinas bus station (rodoviária). The buses wait outside the main terminal building, the company is Caprioli and here you find their schedule. Price: R$8.

From Campinas bus station take the bus to São Paulo terminal Tietê bus station. There are constant buses all throughout the day, there are at least three companies doing that route (Cometa, Santa Cruz and Caprioli. Price, R$20. At the bus station in São Paulo take the subway, it takes you downtown. All the best!

27. Astrid says:

Hi, I’m now busy with an Master in Public Administration course. Because of this course i must write a thesis. My hypo these is about the support that the private sector can deliver to the public sector by setting up an good and reliable bus transportation for the citizens. I,ve heart from a friend that the bus transportation sector in Brasilia is well organized. I like to know if it is by the public or private sector, or both and what kind of cooperation it is about. Can you please tell me some more of the set up of the whole bus transportation system in Brasilia. So i can compare that of Brasilia with Suriname.
    I,m looking forward for your recation.
    Regards, Astrid

Hi Astrid, this is a blog focusing exclusively on travel tips and information. I’m afraid you’ll have to turn elsewhere for the specific info you are searching for. From what I hear on the news on a regular basis, the public transportation system in Brasilia is a shambles.

29. Gloria says:

My son is going from Sao Paulo to Sao Luis Moreno by bus.Can you tell me what bus station in Sao Paulo and the approximate cost, or where I can get this information. Thanks

Gloria, you will need to give me the correct spelling of the place your son wants to go as there is no “Sao Luis Moreno” in Brazil I know of. Also, I need to know the state where that place is. Could it be referring to São Luís do Maranhão? If so, you can find the information following the link I explained on number 2.

31. Ian MacDonell says:

Hi Tony. Regarding the question about overland travel between Bolivia and Brazil posted earlier this year[January 6], the Thorn Tree Cafe on the Lonely Planet website has a number of how-to postings on this subject. I haven’t done the trip myself so I can’t vouch for its accuracy, but it worth a look. Regards, Ian.

Ian, many thanks for your tip, I’m sure it will be of help to other people.

33. Stephanie Johnston says:

I am wondering about bus transport options to get from Paraty to Sao Joao da Boa Vista in Sao Paulo state. Is there a bus direct from Paraty to Campinas by any chance, or do you have to go via Sao Paulo? Is there a bus from Paraty to any location near Sao Joao DBV? (We have friends who could drive up to two hours to pick us up.) FInally is there a direct bus route from Rio to Campinas?

34. Stephanie Johnston says:

PS I just heard that to get to Campinas “You have to make a connection at São José dos Campos” How does this work?

35. Stephanie Johnston says:

PS I just received this information: There’s no direct bus from Paraty to Campinas. You must make the connection in São José dos Campos. Can anyone expand on that?

Stephanie, there is no bus from Paraty to Campinas indeed. If you follow the link I explained at number 3 you will find the details for the two companies going from Rio to Campinas direct. Otherwise, go Paraty – São Paulo with Reunidas and from there take any of many daily buses to Campinas.

37. Port Canaveral says:

Thanks for sharing such a valuable information on transportation in Brazil and all related resources.

38. lucy says:

Hi Tony,
    Your transport information is awesome and very helpful! Thankyou :)
    I was just wondering, do you know if there is a bus from Parati to Santos or Parati to Curitiba. I have searched everywhere and I just cannot find one!
    Your help would be greatly appreciated!
    Lucy

Hi Lucy, there is no direct bus service from Paraty to Curitiba. You have to go to Sao Paulo and change buses there – it’s not difficult at all, you won’t have to leave the bus station. You can get to Santos from Paraty but again, there are no direct buses I’m aware of, and if your idea is to get to Curitiba after Paraty then my advice would be get the Paraty – Sao Paulo bus and then the SP – Curitiba one.

40. lucy says:

Thanks for your response Tony. I thought that is what we might have to do! Thanks again for all your advice on your blog. Its wonderful!!
    Lucy

41. Brandon says:

This is to answer the question on getting from Suriname of Guyana to Brazil. If you are in Suriname, you have to go through Guyana. Their is a route through French Guiana but it appears to take you to a isolated part of Brazil where you have to fly to get to Belem. I made a trip from Suriname, recently to Guyana to find this out. I plan on traveling by land through Brazil to Chile soon.

However, if you go through Guyana. There is a bus company named Interserves in Georgetown, Guyana. Check in time in Guyana is 7:30 pm. And they leave south at 9:00 pm. This is the only bus service connecting to Brazil. However, they only take you to the south border city of Lethem, Guyana. They arrive the next morning or noon there and then there are buses that will take you across the Brazilian bridge on toward Boa Visa, RR, Brazil. Once in Boa Vista you have to take a bus to Manaos, Amazonas, Brazil. I understand that you can get a bus to just about anywhere from there.

I plan to catch a bus there on toward Sao Paulo. In South Brazil there are supposed to be buses that will take me non-stop to Santiago, Chile.

Please confirm.

Brandon, from Manaus you can only take buses going north (Boa Vista and then the border with Venezuela). There are no buses going south. So you either fly to Belém or take the boat down that route (takes three days). You can take a bus from São Paulo to Santiago (see from São Paulo to Santiago de Chile).

43. Dana says:

Hello,

I’m thinking about taking a night bus from Sao Paulo to the Iguaçu Falls. How safe is this? Thanks in advance

Dana, it’s been a long while since I last heard of any incidents on that route. I wouldn’t take the night bus myself, but that’s because I’m really afraid of the way Brazilian drives at night time. If that doesn’t bother you, go ahead and take the night bus.

45. stephanie says:

Hi!
    What is the best way to go from Iguaçu to Campo Grande or Bonito (I want to go to the Pantanal area after Iguacu)?
    Is it possible to go by bus? Is it safe? Is it the same price by plane?
    What woud you recommend?
    Thanks.
    Stephanie.

Stephanie, there is at least one bus company going from Iguaçu to Campo Grande, it is Medianeira. Check their website for travel schedules. You will need to send them an email to find out the ticket prices. You can fly to Campo Grande with Gol and Tam, but unless you’re lucky to get a bargain ticket chances are the flight will be more expensive than the bus. Depending on your budget, if the flight didn’t cost a fortune, I would take it.

47. Joanne says:

Hi,
    Is it possible to buy bus tickets online from Pluma? When I get to the payment page, I’m asked for a CPF, which I don’t have. Is there any way to get around this?
    Thanks!

Joanne, this is an extremely annoying feature of bus travel in Brazil. Purchasing tickets from abroad with a credit card is next to impossible due to stringent credit card regulations that require a CPF number (Brazilian tax ID) associated to each transaction. Pluma has a communication channel with its customers, I suggest you try it and see if you can find out a way around the problem.

49. Jose says:

Hi guys,

Check out this website to search bus times in Brazil (english version):

I’ve travelled a lot by bus all around Brazil and even with my back problem I’ve survived :)

Hope it helps!

Thanks Jose. I’ve tried a dozen typical searches here at the blog and I’ve had a pretty mixed experience, one positive hit (Porto Alegre – Florianopolis) and many many negatives (Rio – Salvador, Rio – Búzios, Rio – Porto Alegre, Fortaleza – Natal and quite a few others). I think for the engine to be popular among foreigners it needs to explain clearly what are the geographical limits it covers – otherwise it is going to generate quite a lot of frustration. Solving those issues, it could become a great tool.

51. Jose says:

Hi Tony,
    Thanks a lot for your feedback :)
    This website is still work in progress and for now it covers mostly Center and South of Brazil destinations.
    From Rio Grande do Sul to Minas Gerais I think it covers the main routes. I checked in my logs and it seems that you were searching things like (city) – (state). It works just with the city and I think that’s why most of your searches failed.
    It also uses an alias system so that common misspelling or abbreviations should lead to the city names. Like SP to São Paulo and Rio to Rio de Janeiro. I still have the problem with the fact that some of the companies own search engine is sometimes down and as I get the data in real time not always work… I’m building my own database of timetables to avoid this problem.
    Just to finish, please check a list of routes that should give you results if there is no problem with companies websites:
    And while writing this I just had a good idea to help ppl finding the routes. A search mode where users pick up origin and destination directly in a map. What do you think?

Thanks again for your interest and feedback and I will do my best to make the website work as good as possible.

Cheers!

Jose, incomplete coverage is a strong drawback for a search engine. It’s a bit like those flight search engines that will not show you flights by Gol or Tam or Azul. The idea is excellent but the user wants an all-in-one solution. It is difficult to sell a foreigner the idea of a bus search engine where they might or might not find what they are looking for depending on where they are going to.

Just to set the record straight, as I’m an old hand when it comes to searching for bus info online, in all my unsuccesful attempts I tried searches using all possible combinations, name of city + name of city, name of city and state + name of city and state and so on.

A map would definitely be a great idea, but I still think complete coverage is the name of the game. I’m sure it must be a hard task as many companies, specially in the northeast, do not have a computerized system online.

Good luck developing your site and let me know of how you get on with it! All the best!