Mariana is a small and quaint Cidade Histórica a few miles off Ouro Preto. It makes for a perfect half-day trip from the latter.
1. HOW TO GET THERE:
- from Belo Horizonte: bus company Pássaro Verde runs two daily direct buses to Mariana (at unearthly hours). Schedules and fares available at its website. The trip lasts 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- if you find yourself in Ouro Preto, take a local bus to Mariana.
By train. The Trem da Vale is a tourist train linking Ouro Preto and Mariana. You can check schedules and prices at its website. If you want to save some money, you can go to Mariana by train and return to Ouro Preto by bus.
By car. You can reach Mariana from Belo Horizonte, São Paulo or Rio de Janeiro. Extreme caution is required as roads in the state of Minas Gerais are notorious for its alarming accident rates.
By plane. There is no airport in Mariana. The nearest airports are Confins and Pampulha in Belo Horizonte.
2. WHEN TO GO:
It rains quite a lot in Mariana from November to March. Between April and October rainfall is scarce. June, July and August can see the temperatures drop to 10 degrees at night, warm clothing is recommended.
3. CAREFUL WITH:
Coolish temperatures in winter. Local food is as delicious as it is caloric.
4. WE LIKE THE MOST:
The exceptional collection of baroque colonial architecture. The local food delicacies.
5. WE LIKE THE LEAST:
Outside the historic centre Mariana is chaotic.
6. FAVOURITE PLACES:
Minas Gerais square with the beautiful churches of São Francisco de Assis and Nossa Senhora do Carmo. The church of São Pedro dos Clérigos.
7. PIECE OF ADVICE:
- half a day is enough to visit the most important churches in Mariana. You can walk or drive your car.
- the places mentioned under 6. are unmissable. From the Minas Gerais square, follow the street going up till you reach the church of São Pedro dos Clérigos.
- of a lesser interest is the Catedral Basílica da Sé ou de Nossa Senhora da Assunção.
No vaccines are needed for Mariana. The rural areas of Minas Gerais recorded recent cases of yellow fever. Though not essential nor required, take the shot if you want some peace of mind (10 facts about yellow fever in Brazil).
Mariana.org is the official Mariana tourism page.
10. WEATHER FORECAST:
Average temperatures and rainfall in Mariana.
12. GOOGLE MAPS:
Mariana in Google Maps.
13. PHOTO ALBUM:
Category: Destination: Minas Gerais