how to stay legal in Brazil beyond 90 days

March 15, 2011 | By More

Tourists from a sizeable number of countries, including the European Union, are granted an initial 90-day stay permit on arrival to Brazil (please check with the Brazilian consulate in your country of origin what are the specific requirements for your nationality). This permite is not a visa – a mistake made by endless websites. Those initial 90 days can be extended to a maximum number of 180 days per year. This blog post explains you how to do so.

First you will need to fill a GRU (Guia de Recolhimento da União) form. Once filled, print it and take it to the bank where you will have to pay the fee corresponding to your request. The form looks as follows:

You can reach it clicking here. Fill in the fields as follows:

  1. Nome. Write your name and surname.
  2. Endereço. Write your home address.
  3. Bairro. The name of the neighbourhood where you live.
  4. Cidade. The city.
  5. País. The country.
  6. Nome da mãe. Write the name of your mother in full.
  7. Nome do pai. Write the name of your father in full.
  8. Unidade arrecadadora. From the drop-down menu, select the name of the unit of the Federal Police where you will submit your request. The units appeared grouped by states.
  9. Código da Receita STN. Click on the magnifying glass on the right hand side. A list of codes will appear. Select 140090 – Pedido de Prorrogação de Prazo de Estada.
  10. Valor Total R$. Once you select the code in the previous field the corresponding fee will automatically appear here. No action is needed.
  11. Gerar Guia. Once you have filled on the fields, click on Gerar Guia to create the document you will need to print and take to the Banco do Brasil, the bank where you will have to pay the fee.

Once you have paid the fee, go to the Federal Police unit you chose on the form. At PF pelo Brasil you will find where is the nearest Federal Police office.

When you go to the Federal Police, don’t forget to take your passport and entry card with you!

Extensions are granted for a maximum of 90 days – making a total of 180 days. The Federal Police has the last word on whether the extension is granted or not. If you have overstayed your initial 90 days, you need to get on the right side of the law before you apply for an extension (the Federal Police will inform you on the steps you need to take).

Important. The information contained in this entry was based on the official information found a the Brazilian Federal police at the time of publishing this entry. As rules and regulations change, we advice you to get in touch with the Federal Police to double-check the procedure for an extension continues the same.

subscribe to the Brazil Travel Blog by Email
follow the Brazil Travel Blog on Twitter
follow the Brazil Travel Blog on Facebook

Tags: ,

Category: Customs and visas

Comments are closed.