Not that long ago the tourism authorities of the city of São Paulo announced the introduction of a tourist bus service in the city. With this decision, the largest of all Brazilian cities joins a handful of cities with a tourist bus service, from Campo Grande to Manaos, from Brasilia to Porto Alegre (we’ve tested here at the Brazil Travel Blog the Linha Turismo, Curitiba’s hop-on hop-off bus and the Salvador bus).
Rio’s been left lagging behind. Up until now. We’ve read (Rio lança edital para linhas de ônibus turísticos de 2 andares) that the tenders are officially opened for companies wanting to operate a hop on-hop off service in the city. The details of the service emerging now are:
- The service will be operated on a double-decker bus, with multi-language support for the tourist.
- The ticket will be valid for a period of time during which the tourist will be able to use the bus as often as he wants.
- It should run from 8:00 till 18:00, with a maximum interval of 30 minutes between buses.
- Route one should cover Copacabana – Av. Atlântica, Ipanema – av. Vieira Souto, Leblon – av. Delfim Moreira, lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas, jardim Botânico, Corcovado, Pão de Açúcar, Aterro do Flamengo, Marina da Glória, Monumento dos Pracinhas. Taking tourists to the Museu de Arte Moderna, the Santos Dumont airport, praça 15 – museu da Marinha, Centro Cultural Banco do Brasil, Cinelândia – Teatro Municipal, Museu de Belas Artes, Arcos da Lapa and the port. With a possible expansion to the Maracanã stadium, the Sambadrome and the Cidade do Samba.
- Route two should go along Delfim Moreira, av. Niemeyer, São Conrado, av. das Américas, Cidade da Música and av. Sernambetiba with a future expansion to
Autódromo, Rio Centro, Parque Aquático Maria Lenk and Arena Esportiva.
There is no date for the start of the service. The ticket should not cost more than R$60. We honestly hope that is the case as for that price a taxi ride is a far more convenient means of visiting the city. As soon as we learn more details of the new service we will keep you informed.
Our HQ for all the info regarding Rio de Janeiro is this blog’s entry: destination: Rio de Janeiro.
48 hours in Rio de Janeiro – what to do, where to go
hotels in Rio de Janeiro
budget accommodation in Rio de Janeiro
the Rio de Janeiro subway
map of Rio de Janeiro
a new Rio pass is launched
the new official Rio Guide
Rio de Janeiro’s Michelin guide for free
hang-gliding in Rio de Janeiro
Rio bus station: Terminal Novo Rio
Category: Destination: Rio