Rio de Janeiro tourism authorities have just released an app for smartphones, with versions for iOS on the App Store and for Android on the Android Market.
The app is available in Portuguese, English and Spanish (way to go, Rio! São Paulo launched recently a similar app in Portuguese only). My app detectec automatically the language used on my device and showed the corresponding language version when I opened it.
We have only tested the iOS version.
We liked the fact that…
- …it has an English version.
- …it has a nice layout and responds well to input from the user.
- …it is free.
- …within the limitations of an app for smartphones, it contains some useful tools to check out public transportation options in the city of Rio.
We didn’t like the fact that…
- …the organization of the information is somehow confuse. If you are looking for the tourist sights you will find them under the “Tours” section of “What to do” where the sights appear listed along companies running tours of Rio.
- …the extense section devoted to the Carnival (could have been quite useful!) it’s just there for decoration purposes, as it has no content at all. [update: a new version of the app released after writing this review has eliminated the carnival section]
- …the app doesn’t include a map of Rio with the geolocation of the sights and places mentioned on it. An omission hard to understand, really.
With quite a lot of room for improvement, Rio’s official tourism app takes the lead from São Paulo’s counterpart and confirms Rio as the leading tourist city of Brazil. Work needs to be done as soon as possible to launch an improved second version of the app.
Category: Destination: Rio