Destination: Iguazu Falls

March 15, 2007 | By More

Iguazu falls / cataratas de IguazúIguazu falls / cataratas de IguazúIguazu falls / cataratas de IguazúIguazu falls / cataratas de Iguazú
Iguazu falls / cataratas de Iguazútemplo budista de Foz de IguazúTucán toco / Toco toucanTucán toco / Toco toucan

The Iguazu falls are an unavoidable stop in the itinerary of most visitors to both Brazil and Argentina. In spite of its popularity and overcrowding during certain times of the year, the beauty of the falls is so captivating that you don’t need to make a big effort to forget the crowds and enjoy the place.

The falls, the boat trip to the falls

Ciudad del Este, only advisable for those seeking an unforgettable socio-anthropological experience; the photographers at the Devil’s Throat; the constant presence of helicopters over the Brazilian side of the park; the Sheraton hotel right in the middle of the Argentinian park

There are airports on the Brazilian side (Foz do Iguaçu) and Argentinian side (Puerto Iguazú) of the falls. Alternatively, a long bus ride from São Paulo or Rio – or Buenos Aires if coming from Argentina. See from Rio to Foz do Iguaçu. There are also buses from Florianópolis and Curitiba.

Avoid crossing to Ciudad del Este when there is an ongoing police operation against smuggling and drug trafficking, there are usually clashes on the bridge where the border between Brazil and Paraguay is located; the coatis at the park, will eat your food and anything else they might think it’s edible.

The Devil’s Throat, on the Argentinian side of the falls; the walkways on both sides of the falls; the Buddhist temple in Foz do Iguaçu; the Parque das Aves right next to the entrance to the Brazilian National Park.

• from December 2011 entrance fee to the national park for foreigners is R$40,80, including transportation to the falls
  • half a day is enough to visit the Brazilian side of the falls; some decent food in the restaurant next to the falls also on the Brazilian side; on the way out from the National Park, you can visit the Parque das Aves, even if you don’t like zoos you will be impressed by the size of the cages – you can walk inside them and enjoy the view of exotic birds flying around
  • for a decent visit to the Argentinian side of the falls, allow for an entire day
  • the visit to the Itaipu dam is worth it only if the spillway is opened – it is opened only when the dam is full

You can search for accommodation in Foz do Iguaçu through our Hotels Combined search engine, a unique free tool that searches multiple hotel reservation websites simultaneously to help you find the lowest rate instantly. It eliminates the need to search major websites one by one in order to compare prices and availability. An amazing time and money saver!

The results open on a new page.

Cataratas do Iguaçu (Brazilian National Park), Cataratas de Iguazú (Argentinian National Park), Foz do Iguaçu Turismo (City Council), Parque das Aves

Yellow fever is an issue on the region. You are strongly adviced to get vaccination against it. More info at 10 facts about yellow fever in Brazil.

The weather in Foz do Iguaçu for the next 10 days

Average temperatures and rainfall in Foz do Iguaçu at the weather channel and msn weather.

Iguazu falls

Iguaçu photo album at Flickr.

Accommodation in Foz do Iguaçu
from Curitiba to Foz do Iguaçu
from Rio/São Paulo to Iguazu
Enough water at the Iguazú falls?

subscribe to the Brazil Travel Blog by Email
follow the Brazil Travel Blog on Twitter
follow the Brazil Travel Blog on Facebook

Tags: ,

Category: Destination: Iguazu

1. Canuck says:

Hi Tony, Do you know how to get from the Foz dos Iguacu airport to the Rodoviaria Bus station and the cost and distance. I am then going to take a bus from here to the bus station on the Argentina side of the Falls. THANKS!

ps. Sorry I keep leaving messages in the wrong area.

Canuck, I don’t have that specific information. I’ve seen a bus service mentioned but I haven’t been able to find out more. From what I read I believe a taxi will set you back somewhere between R$20 and R$30.

3. Mayukh Banik says:

Hi, I am Indian citizen currently studying in USA. I am planning for a Brazil trip. I will definitely have the Brazilian Visa for it. Is it enough to get to the Argentinian side of the falls or do I need a separate Argetinian Visa for it?

Mayuk, there is a sort of informal arrangement by which tourists travelling to the Argentinian side of the falls for just the day are not requested an Argentinian visa. But I advice you to double check this with the Argentinian consulate. All the best.

5. Jane Moore says:

hi Tony

I had planned to fly in & stay 2 nights on the Brazil side & take a day trip to the Argentinian side & then fly out of the Argentinian side on to Bueons Aires- any advice is this the right way to do it or should i stay 2 nights on Argentinian side & visit Brazil side for a daytrip or do one night in each location!!

Jane, in terms of how you visit the falls staying or one side of the border or the other doesn’t make much difference, as you will always have to take a day trip to the other side. But moneywise, Argentina is much cheaper than Brazil at the moment, so whether you are looking for top or budget accommodation, you will find it cheaper on the Argentinian side. Given that your departure flight will leave from Argentina too I would advice you to set up camp on Argentina and take a dray trip to Brazil. All the best!

7. ursula says:

hi Tony
    I want to be in the falls area for 3 day(2 nights). my plan is to book on Argentina side(cheaper). I`m planning to take night bus from Sao paulo to Foz, so will arrive in Foz around 0800 am. Can I still do the falls?(by the time I will get to my accommodation….)or should I put my luggage in storage(if there is any)and go to brazilian side first? Regards

Ursula, arriving at 08:00 am you can still do the falls indeed. But from a logistic point of view, and given that you are going to stay on the Argentinian side, why don’t you go to your accommodation on the Argentinian side, leave your luggage there and then go to visit the Argentinian side of the falls (or even the Brazilian side, since that can be done in half a day)? Next day you can do the other side of the falls. I don’t know of any left-luggage facilities at the Foz de Iguaçu bus station.

9. Slavo says:

Hi Tony,
    In the mid December I want to spent 2 nights in the Iguassu area. First day I will arrive by plane at 2:10 pm from Sao Paolo, third day I will depart for Rio at 4:00 pm. I will stay in downtown of Foz de Iguassu for 2 nights.
    Can you recommend me any good travel agency that will be able to prepare for me guided tours to both Brazilian and Argentinian side of the falls as well as to the dam (everything using local transfers by car)?
    Which itinerary would you recommend for the time interval I have available?
    Thanks for advise.

Slavo, unfortunately I can’t give you a first-hand recommendation of any agency. But there are a few downtown. Your hotel will definitely be able to help. Unlike other Brazilian destinations, I haven’t heard many bad stories about travel agencies in Foz de Iguazu, they all offer similar packages. You don’t have much time at all so I’d probably advice you to do the Argentinian side of the falls & Itaipu dam on the full day you will have and then the Brazilian side of the falls on the day you leave (the airport is on the way to the falls so you could go with your luggage, have lunch at the falls and then head to the airport). All the best.

11. Ursula says:

Hi there
    thinking of taking bus from S.Paulo to Iguazu, but unable to book online(language barrier).Will it be enough time-just one day-to book a sleeper bus, have no idea- is there many bus companies?, easy to book? etc.thanks

Ursula, at from Rio/São Paulo to Iguazu you have the details of the bus companies going to Iguazu. With Pluma Internacional you can check how many seats there are left for each service (poltronas livres) to give you an idea. You might be able to buy your ticket the day before (Brazilians always buy their tickets at the very last minute), but you should have a backup plan just in case.

13. Andrew A. Sailer says:

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work.

Indeed. There are plenty of fishing opportunities in the region if that’s what you’re interested in.

If you have any questions about the Iguazu Falls you can ask at our Facebook page and we will give you an answer as soon as we can.